Friday, February 20, 2009

What are we doing here

I'm pretty much new to blogging and hope to get better as I go. This blog is intended for all who are writers, would like to be a writer, and those who love to read. In the coming months I would like to have dialogs on writing and the hopes of writers.

There is so much to learn when it comes to writing and all the books you could read would never show you how to go about doing it - writing. Writing has to come from the heart AND the mind. We can use text books and writing classes to learn the craft, but each writer has to have a story they feel has to be told, whether it be novels or memoirs, personal essays or short stories. The basic how-to's are there in books and conferences. The little tidbits that make a story are learned from others who have been there. In this blog, I hope we can all contribute to the tidbits for others who need that little extra to make their writing sing so readers can sway with the rhythm.

I am currently slogging through the final chapters of my current novel before the daunting process of editing and rewriting. I find it, sometimes, difficult to do my first "down and dirty "draft without wanting to rewrite and edit as I go. But, I find this slows down my process of finishing the basic story. By rewriting before I finish the entire story, I lose the momentum, so I keep sheets of notes of what I want to include or change in the previous chapters. This works for me. Others I know keep rewriting chapters until they have it just the way they want it before moving on to the next chapter- and that works for them.

I'd like to hear from other writers on how they work their first draft.

As we go along, I hope I and other writers can offer information to those of you who are looking for answers. This will be about the craft of writing and editing, query letters, and synopsis.

Now back to the process of finishing those chapters.
I'd like to hear what others do when they finish a chapter in their first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment